Dr Garry Middle - VisionEnvironment
Dr Garry Middle is the Director of the VisionEnvironment, and has over 30 years experience in environment planning, sustainability planning, coastal planning, policy and governance, open space planning, environmental impact assessment (EIA), strategic environmental assessment (SEA) and climate change governance.
He has worked with State and Local governments, consulting and as an academic. Before joining Curtin in June 2008, Dr Middle was the Appeals Convenor for the WA Minister for Environment and prior to that was Director, Environment and Natural Resource Planning, at Department of Planning and Infrastructure. He also worked for the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) - the peak environmental agency in WA - for over 15 years.
Current positions and boards/committees memberships
- Adjunct Senior Research Fellow at Curtin University’s Centre for Sport and Recreation Research, Perth, Western Australia (WA)
- Independent member of the Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC) which is the statutory authority with statewide responsibilities for urban, rural and regional land use planning and land development matters: he is the coastal planning expert on the WAPC.
- Chair of Great Victoria Desert Biodiversity Trust, an independent Trust fund dedicated to funding research and on-ground works in the Great Victoria Desert. The Trust was established and funded by the proponent of the Tropicana Gold Mine as an offset for its impacts on matters of National Environmental Significance.
- Chair of the board of the not-for-profit organisation, Urbaqua Ltd (formally Essential Environmental) which provides practical technical solutions to deliver a water and environmentally sensitive future for our WA community;
- Member of the National Education committee for Planning Institute of Australia;
- Member of State Committee, Planning Institute of Australia, Western Australia;
- Committee member for the WAPC Gingin to Kalbarri Sub-Regional Planning Steering Group;
- Committee member for the WAPC Leeuwin Naturaliste Sub-Regional Planning Steering Group;
- Committee member for the WAPC Coastal Management Advisory Group;
- Member of the Environment Institute of Australia and New Zealand Special Interest Group on Impact Assessment;
- Chair, Profession Advisory Committee, Department of Geography and Planning, Curtin University
- International Association of Impact Assessment (23 years).
- Planning Institute of Australia (20 years)
If you would like to contact Garry, his email is email@example.com - (click to email).